Personal Injury Info

Minimal Property Damage – Do You Have a Viable Personal Injury Case?

You are driving on Hampton Boulevard in Norfolk, Virginia (VA) when your vehicle is rear-ended by a distracted or drunk driver. The impact causes you to suddenly feel intense pain and aching in your lower back. However, when you inspect the damage to your car, it is not extensive. The fender may be bent, but your vehicle is still operable.  Many people find themselves in this situation and ask themselves whether they can file a personal injury claim, despite the relatively minor property damage.

The answer – yes, you may still have a viable personal injury claim to make against the other driver’s insurance policy. But before you file a claim, here are some important issues to be prepared for…

Get Ready, the Other Driver’s Insurance Company Will Fight to Reduce or Deny Your Claim

If you file a personal injury claim and there is minor property damage to your vehicle, the other driver’s insurance company is going to fight tooth and nail. Insurance adjusters will try to argue that you could not be hurt that bad when the damage to the vehicle was minor.

Do not let this argument dissuade you.

If you were feeling perfectly fine before the accident and are now in pain after the accident, you have a reasonable, good faith basis to pursue a personal injury claim.

Be Realistic About the Damages That Can Be Recovered

If you were involved in a fender bender car accident and have $1,000 in medical bills and $500 in lost wages, do not expect your Norfolk car accident lawyer to get a $100,000 settlement. This does not mean you should expect to receive a pittance for your pain and suffering, but you should go into this process with your eyes open and a realistic mindset of what to expect from a potential settlement.

If you believe you are entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, your Norfolk car accident attorney can advocate for that compensation with the insurance adjuster. Pain and suffering includes the loss of enjoyment, inconvenience, and general hassle associated with taking the time out of your daily life to deal with this incident and the injuries caused by the collision.

Filing a Lawsuit May Be Needed to Get a Reasonable Settlement Offer

With minor property damage personal injury claims, insurance adjusters routinely make low-ball settlement offers that you probably will not be happy with. If this occurs and the adjuster is not willing to increase their offer, you should consult with your Norfolk personal injury attorney and consider filing a lawsuit in General District Court.

Contact an Experienced Norfolk Car Accident Lawyer Today

If you or a loved one was involved in an auto accident and the property damage was minor, you still have legal rights and should contact an experienced Norfolk car accident attorney. Emily is here to help. She can give you advice based on your situation and assist in the personal injury claim process.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s